If you are looking to embark on a new web development project – you may want to consider the following web development tips:
- Before you consider anything – consider how you are going to market your web development project. If you plan on using Search Engine Optimisation, (or SEO), and nearly all projects for public use will, then you should plan this from the outset, and design your system with SEO in mind.
- Consider what operating system your server is going to run. We recommend linux, as it offers the cheapest cost of ownership, and is considered to be one of the most stable web server platforms
- Don’t scrimp on your design budget, a clean web 2.0 look is imperative for web apps, and no matter how good your web app is, if it doesn’t look good – are you really going to be successful with your product?
- Work out how you want your system to work functionally. This doesn’t have to be difficult – you can sketch diagrams on paper and scan and email it to your developer. The more information you provide on how you want it to work – the more likely you are to get what you want.
- Shop around, but don’t just go for the cheapest quote. You will probably be amazed and the differences in the quotes you will get for what seems on the face of it to be the same web development project. But all too often the bargain basement web developer will not deliver – either disappearing without finishing the job, getting stuck and not being able to complete or worse still running off with your money. So always view their previous projects and make sure they are live, check references and be very clear what they are going to deliver for how much, and with what payment schedule. I always think transparency is clear.
So now go out there, grab your pencil and your ideas book, find yourself a great developer and go out there and build the next groupon!